- Muga, M.O. ,Chikamai B., Oriwo V., Gachathi N., Mbiru S., Luvanda A., Wekesa L.,Wekesa C., Omondi S. and Lelon J. 2020. Synthesis of the Development in Gums and Resins Sub-Sector in Kenya. Accepted for publication in East African Agricultural and Forestry Journal
- Muga.M.O., Irura, S. N., and Harri, A. 2018. The Status of the Furniture Value Chain in Kenya. . Journal of Applied Sciences, Engineering and Technology for Development (JASETD).
- Muga, M.O and Mayunzu, O. 2016. Aloe secundiflora sap yield and quality variation in Kwale County, Kenya. Journal of Applied Sciences, Engineering and Technology forDevelopment (JASETD).
- Muga, M. and Chikamai, B.N. 2016. Gums and Resins Production and Trade in Kenya. Miti Magazine. Issue No. 29 January-March 2016. Pp 32-
- Obonyo C., Muga M., Kiprop J., Othim R., Oriwo V., Ingutia C and Bor N. priority nonwood forest products in Cherangany hills ecosystem. Accepted for publication in East African Agricultural and Forestry Journal
- P.C. Ogutu, M.O. Muga, R. Pretorius, C. Obonyo, V. Yegon, V.Oriwo, E.Kitheka,Oduor, J. Githiomi and J. Kimondo. 2019. Piloting Commercial Production of Charcoal Briquettes from Sugarcane Bagasse in Homa-Bay County. Journal of Applied Sciences,Engineering and Technology for Development (JASETD).
- C. Wekesa; B.N. Chikamai; J.K. Muturi, G., Lelon, M.O. Muga and A.M. Luvanda. 2015. Gum arabic production potential in Kenyan drylands for naturally growing Acacia senegal varieties. Oct. Jour. Env. Res. Vol. 3(1): 100-111.
- C. Wekesa, A. M. Luvanda; M. O. Muga, B. N. Chikamai, P. M. Makenzi. 2013. Market Chain Analysis of Gum Arabic Trade in Kenya. Octa Journal of Environmental Research April - June, 2013. International peer-reviewed journal ISSN 2321-3655. Oct. Jour. Env. Res. Vol. 1(2): 93-106. Available online http://www.science beingjournal.com.
- C. Wekesa; B.N. Chikamai; J.K. Lelon, M.O. Muga and A.M. Luvanda. 2012. Gum arabic production potential in Kenyan drylands for naturally growing Acacia senegal varieties. Submitted for publication in Annals of biological Sciences.
- Oscar Mayunzu, Meshack Muga1, Juliana Mwangi1, Repha Bakhoya2 2012. Comparison of Nutritional Characteristics of Baobab (Adansonia digitata L.) with some common Kenyan fruits. Annals. Food Science and Technology.
- Chemuku W.; A. Luvanda, M. Muga; B. Chikamai; and P. Makenzi. 2009. Traditional Ecological Knowledge in Acacia Senegal (L.) Willd. Management and Gum Arabic Production in Samburu and Isiolo Districts of Kenya (African Journal of plant sciences, Vol. 4 (1). 8
- Chemuku W.; A. Luvanda M. Muga; B. Chikamai; and P. Makenzi. 2009. Gum arabic yield in different varieties of Acacia senegal (L.) Willd in Kenya (African Journal of plant sciences,Vol. 3 (6).
- Joseph K. Lelon, Meshack O. Muga, David W. Odee, Chemuku Wekesa and Beatrice Ndakwe 2009. Effect of chemical properties of soils on gum elementary compositions from Acacia senegal variety kerensis in Samburu and Marsabit districts. African Journal of Plant Science
http://www.academicjournals.org/ajps.Vol. 4 (1), pp. xxx-xxx, February 2010.
- Meshack Muga, Simon Choge, Benard Kamondo, Violet Oriwo, Daniel Nyamai, Emily
Kitheka and Ben Chikamai. Tree resources in Kenyan Asals of commercial value. A book
chapter in ASAL Resources Management Handbook Best Practices on Rainwater
Harvesting and Range Rehabilitation NALEP Case Experiences, Kenya. Submitted for
publication in 2016
- Chikamai, B, M. Muga and M. Marangu. 2010. Development of the gum arabic sub-sector
in Kenya. A paper presented during the conference on “New Developments in Acacia Gums
Research, Products and Processes” held at Glyndwr University, UK, September 20-22, 2010
- David Odee and Meshack Muga. Support to food security, poverty alleviation and soildegradation
Control in the Sahelian countries through land restoration and agroforestry204 in
Bozzano, M., Jalonen, R., Thomas, E., Boshier, D., Gallo, L., Cavers, S., Bordács, S., Smith, P.
& Loo, J., eds. 2014. Genetic considerations in ecosystem restoration using native tree species.
State of the World’s Forest Genetic Resources – Thematic Study. Rome, FAO and Bioversity
- Nimino, G., Muga, M.O., Mbiru, S.S., Chiatoh, M. and Chikamai, B.N. (2017). Chapter 4:
Agribusiness enterprises in forest and non-timber forest products sector. Pp 41-48. In:
Agribusiness in Africa - A Contextualised Manual for Tertiary Institutions and Development
Practitioners. Eds. Obiri J.A.F., Driver, M.F., Onyekwelu, J.C., Akpoko, J.G., Ramasawmy, B.
and Drame-Yaye, A. ISBN: 978929059 403 1
- Cheboiwo, J., Langat, D., Muga, M., and Kiprop, J. 2019.https://www.researchgate.net/publication/332671599 Economic Analysis of Forest
Landscape Restoration Options in Kenya, Ministry of Environment and Forestry, Nairobi,Kenya.
Technical Notes /Protocols/Guidelines/Manuals
- 8 Livelihood briefs on non-timber forest products (Sandalwood, gum arabic, melia, myrrh,
aloe, frankincense, prosopis and hagar) KEFRI-NALEP Project, 2011.
- Muga, M., Oriwo,V., and Ogutu, P.C. 2017. Booklet on gums and resins prepared
- Muga, M.O., Oriwo, V., Kitheka, E., and Mbiru, S. 2013. A Policy Framework (Guideline)
for Initiating, Managing and Monitoring Strategic Partnerships in KEFRI
- Muga, M.O., Oloo, C., Oriwo, V., Mbiru, S. and Kitheka, E. 2013. Guidelines for Public
Private Partnerships in KEFRI
- Mayunzu, O., and Muga, M. 2015. Aloe Production Manual. KEFRI.
- Technical fact sheet on Aloe (2013).
- Led in the preparation of a policy brief on: Using gums and resins for enhancing
environmental conservation and livelihood improvement in ASALs
- Participated in the development of policy brief on Landscape Restoration in Kenya
- A review of policies and legal frameworks for the gums and resins sub-sector
- Production and Marketing of Briquettes from Agro-industrial Residues in Kenya
- Participated in the development of National Forestry Plan (2015-2030)
- Participated in the development of the Forest Conservation and Management Act 2016
- Participated in the development of subsidiary legislation on gums and resins
- National Project Coordinator for FAO-Kenya, Since 1st March 2019
- Principal Research Officer, since August 2011-2019
- Acted as a National Programme Coordinator (NPC), Partnerships and Networks Programme(August 2012 to June 2014)
- Senior Research Officer (2006-2011)
- Research Officer (1993-2006)
- Assistant Research Officer (1990-1993)
- National Project Coordinator for FAO-Kenya (Since 1st March 2019)
- Secretary to the KEFRI-KFS Technical and Policy Liaison Committees
- Manager Green Economy Partnership Project ‘Creating Green Local Economy
through Commercial Production of Biomass Briquettes from Agro-Industrial Residues
in Kenya’ funded by Nordic Climate Facility.
- Coordinator KEFRI-PALWECO: Promoting agro-forestry/farm forestry best practices
& innovations for improved livelihoods in Busia County with special focus on
- Acted as a National Programmes Coordinator (NPC), Partnerships and Networks
Programme (August 2012 to June 2014)
- Project coordinator KEFRI-NALEP Initiative on Promotion of Tree-based Alternative
Livelihoods while conserving the Environment and Rehabilitating Degraded ASAL
Ecosystems in Kenya, 2008-2010.
- National Project Coordinator, FAO funded Acacia Operation Project (2004-2007)
- Executive Secretary, Gum Arabic and Resins Association (GARA)
- Workshop Manager, KEFRI Karura (1991-1993)
- 2019- PhD student at Egerton University
- 2000-2002: MSc. in Wood Science, University of Melbourne Australia
- 2012: Post graduate Diploma in designing sustainable forest landscapes, Helsinki University
- 1987-1990: B.Sc. (Hons) (Wood Science and Technology), Moi University, Kenya, 1990
Familiarity and proven practical experience working on research and programmatic
issues related to forestry and allied natural resources including:
- Programme and project design, planning, management, monitoring and
- Resource mobilization and financial stewardship
- Problem identification and analysis, experimentation
- Data collection, management, analysis, modeling and interpretation
- Resource assessment and mapping
- Participatory Rural Appraisal
- Organizational capacity/needs assessment
- Technical/Scientific report writing and editing (journal papers, technical reports,
extension briefs, policy briefs/guidelines)
- Negotiating for partnerships and networks and preparation of agreements
(LOAs, MOAs etc)
- Ability to scout for, carry out and supervise consultancies
- PhD Studies at Egerton University-2019 to date
- Forest Certification Course, UK, 2017
- Commonwealth Professional Fellowship on Climate resilience and sustainable at University
of Edinburgh, 2016
- Environmental Impact Assessment and Audit course, KIA Nairobi, 2007.
- Project planning and management course organized by AUSAID, Nairobi, 2007
- Project planning and management course organized by ADRA Kenya, 1998
- Gender analysis/participatory monitoring and evaluation. Egerton University, 1999
- Advanced management course on environmentally balanced pulp production, Sweden, August-
- Training on Forest Research organized by JICA, Tsukuba, Japan. August-November 2003
- Science writing and editing course, 2012-KEFRI Muguga
- Leadership and professional development. The University of Melbourne, Australia, 2001.
- Training on combating desertification, 2013. Turkey
- Trees 3-Validation at Regional Centre for Mapping of resources for Development, 2009.
- GIS and Remote sensing course at the Regional Centre for Mapping of resources for Development, 2005.
- Wood Anatomy and Database Development. Forestry and Forest Products Research Institute, Japan, 2003
- Wood Anatomy for tracking of legal timber. Kumasi Ghana, May 2014.
- Computer training course, Japan. 2003.
- Timber grading course, Kenya.
- Wood carving certification and ‘good’ wood labelling. Kenya.1998
- Market Analysis and Enterprise development. Miti Mingi Maisha Bora programme, Kenya
Forest Service, 2011